Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day! We have had so much fun today! Normally, Michel and I don't do anything really big for Valentine's Day. It's just not that big of a holiday to either of us. In the past, he's generally bought me flowers, and we'll either cook steaks on the grill or go out to eat. This year, we went a little more out there than we normally do.

Michel's parents were coming over late-morning, so Michel was going to get up early and go work out at the gym, and when he got back and showered I was going to run. I set my alarm to get up a little before 7:00 because I wanted to surprise him with a pancake breakfast. Michel has always hinted (and by "hinted," I mean in a not-so-subtle-way) that he wouldn't mind coming home to a nice, hot breakfast. It has honestly just never been feasible to accomplish. Before Audrey came along, he would wake up at 7 or 7:30, surf the Internet for awhile, go to the gym, and get back home around 10:00 or 10:30. When he goes to the gym late in the morning, he always eats breakfast before. He never eats breakfast before going to the fire station because he'll eat there, and since he started working part-time at the ER, ehhh....I probably just didn't want to roll out of bed early enough :) So anyways, today was the perfect day to make him breakfast. I was able to cook us up a big batch of pancakes before I got Audrey up to feed her. Michel stopped and bought me some beautiful roses, and I gave him his present.





My Valentine's Pinterest-inspired craft was a much bigger success than my Christmas Pinterest-inspired picture pose for Audrey!



I will say, though, that I don't recommend using red paint with a 5-month-old unless you have another set of adult hands to help you out! I literally tried getting her footprints in the perfect heart-shape at least 8 different times before I ended up with the picture above! Plus, she started getting tired of me painting her feet, and started getting fidgety, which made the above project even harder! Needless to say, we managed to get it done, and neither of us ended up with paint on our clothes, nor did it get on the floors. I was pretty proud of that alone :)

Back to today: once Michel came back from working out and showered, I went running, and kept my best time since having Audrey - I ran 2 miles in 22 minutes (11 min/mile)! I would have/could have run more, but I knew Michel's parents were coming, and I wanted to be showered and put together by the time they arrived. I even decided to take some extra time to curl my hair and make myself look more dolled-up than usual since more often than not, Michel sees me hanging out around the house in pajama pants, no make-up, and my hair in a ponytail. If we're just hanging out at home, why bother getting dressed?

Michel's parents arrived at our house with perfect timing - right as Audrey woke up from her morning nap! They brought her a Valentine's present - a Veggie Tales book, and read it to her. She loves books! Right now she really likes eating books, and I kept trying to get the picture at the time that she would open her mouth to try and eat the page, but I was always too late. These pictures are too cute anyways!


Mommy and Daddy tried our hardest to show Grandma and Grandpa Audrey's adorable belly laugh, but she was just giving super-cute smiles instead :)





We did eventually get some belly laughs, but like with most all things baby-related, it was in her time! Grandma and Grandpa got down in the floor and played with her. She LOVED all the attention she got! Side note: she did cry when they first arrived, too. Now I have no idea what makes her cry - it's not facial hair like I had originally attributed it to. The only thing I can come up with is when unexpected people are here right when she wakes up it's a bit overwhelming to her (they weren't here when she went to bed, but they were here when she woke up). Luckily, it takes her less than 5 minutes to get used to it, and she didn't fuss the rest of the day! 




Michel's dad got on his back and started waving his arms and legs in the air, just making silly noises, and after a couple of turns of him doing that, she started doing it, too. My pictures don't capture how precious/hilarious it was in real life, but we were all laughing!





Michel's parents were also nice enough to babysit for us, so that we could go out for Valentine's Day, just my sweetie and me.




 Texas Roadhouse was offering a special today. They opened at 3:00, and were offering an appetizer, and two entrees for $34.99, so we decided to go there. We did go at 3:00 for more of a very late lunch than dinner for two reasons: 1.) We had to go when we had childcare; 2.) It's Friday night and Valentine's Day. I don't want to wait 2 hours for a table. I had no problem going out early. Our reasons for going out were to go on a date without the baby, and not worry about what time it was. We were still able to do that, and we had a great time!

I have had such a wonderfully fun, and blessed Valentine's Day 2014! I love my sweet family!















1 comment: