Sunday, April 21, 2013

Baby Registry Items

Last Wednesday after our sonogram appointment, Michel and I started registering for baby items! It was exciting, and yet it was a little overwhelming all at the same time. Lots of questions came up that I would love input on:

1. Do you register for items that you don't care which ones you get (burp cloths and bibs specifically)? We haven't registered for any so far because I told Michel I don't want to stress people out to find that one specific bib, and he brought up a good point that if bibs aren't on a registry will people think we don't need any at all?

2. Do you register for items that aren't yet usable (sippy cups, snack cups, etc), or did you mainly stick with bottles and baby items?

3. Nursing supplies - my plan is to give breastfeeding a shot. I know there are definite health benefits, and it's definitely cheaper! Since I won't be working I would love to be able to breastfeed! However, there have been breastfeeding issues in my family (low milk supply) that have really made it difficult, and I have no problem going to formula if need be. Anyways, I don't know much about breast pumps, or anything breastfeeding-related.

4. Nipples and bottles - we only registered for the biggest bottles after I heard some moms talk about how they wished they had done that from the getgo, and it makes sense to me. Is there a difference in bottle brands because one was significantly cheaper and it wasn't an off-brand; it was one I've heard of, but I can't remember what it was now. Nipples - how many extra did you have, and what speed were they (fast flow, etc.)?

I think that's it for now. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

4 comments:

  1. 1. No. Don't bother registering for those kinds of things. People will not assume that doesn't mean you don't need them. Don't register for clothes either. (Meaning, hanging clothes, not packaged onesies and the like.) When people go to shop hanging clothes are impossible to find what you specifically registered for!

    2. Absolutely!!

    3. I wouldn't get a pump until you know if breastfeeding is going to work. I have a manual one if you need it and you can usually rent them from the hospital. If you know that it's going to work then you can fork out the money for the electric ones.

    4. You already know I use the Playtex drop ins bottles. I like having the little bottles and the big ones. It looks silly to me to put 2 oz. of formula in an 8 oz. bottle! :) And I always had enough nipples to last one day. I think I have 8. When they're really little they use about 8 bottles. The thing I like about the drop ins bottles is that I didn't have to wash the whole bottle. I could switch out the nipple and the liner and it was fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janette!! That was incredibly helpful!

      Delete
  2. 1. I agree with Janette. People will naturally give you those items and a lot of the clothes you will get come with matching ones.

    2. YES! If you don't want to have to buy it later then you should register for it. I opted not to register for things beyond 1 year old (ie potty training stuff)

    3. I would recommend getting the pump! As soon as you get home from the hospital feed then pump. I know its a HUGE hassel, and at first you will only get an ounce at a time, but this will help keep your supply up and allow you to breastfeed longer. Especially in the morning when you supply is at its highest. Plus, everything you pump you can freeze and use later.

    4. Big bottles is the way to go. I have 4-6 of each size nipple for the bottle. Like your sister said, enough to go 1 whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) The only reason I say yes to registering for those things is that you can then get 10% off those items later if they are not purchased and you still need them, but I also agree with what Janette and Carissa said.

    2) Yes!

    3) I would recommend renting the hospital pump first while you give breastfeeding a shot before you cough up a lot of money. I've heard the hospital ones (because they are better than even the ones you buy in the store) can help your supply, especially at the beginning. I had tremendous difficulty with Mikaela so you are welcome to call me if you need some advice come September! It's going much better this time with Nicholas.

    4) I got the bigger bottles and changed out the nipples (as said in previous replies). I used Dr. Browns because Mikaela (and now Nicholas) have reflux and those are better for that (supposedly). I have 8, but I work. You could probably get by with fewer since you'll be home. But if you do formula, it will just depend how often you feel like washing!

    ReplyDelete