Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Weekend Fun!

Last Thursday, my sister and her 2 kids came to our house to spend a long weekend with us. Janette was going to help me finish off Audrey's nursery, but that only took one day. The rest of the weekend was all about having some fun!

They got to our house around 5ish on Thursday evening, so there wasn't much to do except help them get settled in, let the kids watch some TV (we had recorded some good kid shows that we knew that they loved to watch), and then make dinner. The kids started out sitting on the couch, but when Michel decided to sit on the floor they quickly moved beside him. It's so sweet to see how much they love him!



The next day was what we were all looking forward to! We were going to hang out at our pool! Karys has never been a huge lover of the pool. When she was almost a year old, we all went to San Antonio for a small vacation. We went to the pool in the hotel and she didn't cry, but she didn't look like she was having a lot of fun. The summer that she turned 2, Michel and I were married but living in an apartment in Allen. Everyone came over to splash in our pool, but Karys HATED it! She cried when we put her in the pool. But ever since she turned 3, she has liked the pool more and more. And this summer she had just finished up swimming lessons, so she was much more confident in the pool. She doesn't love being submerged or having water in her face, but she's building up to it. We had told her that we were going to the pool and she and Zane both were really excited about it! We had originally planned on going in the afternoon, but the kids woke up early and we had all eaten breakfast by about 9:00 or so, so Janette suggested we just get dressed and go to the pool early. It turned out to be the best idea because that afternoon it was raining and thundering, and we wouldn't have been able to go if we had waited. Another plus to going early was that we were the only ones there! At one point a man came with his 2 girls, but they didn't stay that long. By the time we got out of the pool around 11 or so, more people were starting to come to the pool, but we were done so who cared? :)

Anyways, at the pool Karys showed Michel and I what she had learned. Here she is showing off how she learned to monkey walk around the pool. Look at that big smile! No more fears of water for this one :)


Awww...I didn't take any pictures of Karys jumping off the side and into the pool, but she did that quite a bit. When we first got to the pool, Zane wasn't too sure about the big pool. He kept wanting to go to the little pool, or as he says it "the lillul tiny pool". He also made Michel carry him because he was afraid he'd fall down (he kept saying "I no like the heavy pool. I fall down") I did get a cute picture of him with Michel in the pool, though. 



After watching all the fun Karys was having in the pool, Zane got brave and decided that he wanted to jump in like his big sister. Finally, the big pool is a hit with both of them!!



Our time at the pool was awesome exercise for the kids! They had developed a game of throwing one of their floaties into the pool, jumping to one of us, and then swimming to go get it. Oh, and they had to climb out of the pool by themselves. Needless to say, as soon as we ate lunch, Janette put them down for their quiet time and Zane fell asleep right away and slept for about 3 hours. Karys looked at books in her bed for a few minutes before falling asleep for about 2 hours. My goal is always that we do stuff with them that is so fun it just wears them out. I think we succeeded! 

Saturday was our work day. We had already set it up with my parents for the kids to spend the day at their house so Janette and I could work on nursery stuff. Michel had to work on Saturday, too, so it all worked out perfectly. Once the kids were off with Nana and Granddaddy, Janette and I made a list of what I wanted to get done. It included painting a wooden letter "A" that I had bought at First Monday a couple of months back, sewing the batting into the crib bumper, organizing, and buying a few accessories. The accessories had actually been last on my to-do list, but I am so glad that we made time for them - they are what make the nursery look adorable! I absolutely love how the nursery looks (a blog post with pictures will be coming this weekend!) My parents brought the kids back around 8:30 or 9:00 that night and as soon as they were in the house Zane ran and found his swim trunks and wanted to put them on and go swimming. Yes! They are now fans of the pool! We promised them that we would swim after church the next day. :)

So on Sunday we all got up and went to Sunday School and worship. How cute do they look?? 


As soon as we were back at the house Karys got into her swimsuit right away. We were not moving fast enough for them - they were dying to get to the pool, and I love it! I could seriously stay in the pool all day and never tire of it! My parents came back again, too, to see how much the kids love the pool now. At one point Zane was just jumping off the side of the pool regardless of if the person was ready for him or not, so he kept us on our toes (he didn't like wearing his floaties as much as Karys did). Then  when my dad was ready to catch him he said, "I do it by myself". Janette had to tell him if he wasn't wearing his floaties he couldn't do it by himself :) Someone got a little TOO confident and comfortable in the pool! We stayed out at the pool for several hours, had a pizza delivered to the pool, and just had some fun before we had to say good-bye :( 

We had so much fun, and I am so thankful to all the help that Janette gave me with Audrey's nursery! I can't wait to show it off at my church shower this weekend, and post pictures for everyone to see! 


5 comments:

  1. Such a cute post! :) We had such a great time too! Last night while we were getting the kids in bed, we were singing some songs. I started singing "I'm in the Lord's Army" and Karys goes, "Hey! We sang that at Aunt Julie's church!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun little weekend. It is so good you get to spend time with the niece and nephew. I also love that your sister came to help with the nursery. That is so special:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun little weekend. It is so good you get to spend time with the niece and nephew. I also love that your sister came to help with the nursery. That is so special:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your two posts about fixing up the nursery. It looks so cute! Granddaddy and I loved being able to "help" by keeping the kids. I'm so glad you and Janette are still so close. I know she enjoyed the time as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete