Friday, August 30, 2013

My First Week as a Stay-at-Home Mom

I'm considering this week my first week as a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM) because all the students went back to school, and I love driving past schools and seeing all the cars in the parking lot and thinking to myself "It's so weird/awesome to not be there". In all seriousness, I don't know if I would be able to be any kind of effective teacher at this stage in pregnancy if I was still working. I walk really slowly, getting up and down off the floor quickly (which was pretty much a requirement for a preschool teacher) would be impossible, and I just don't think I would have the energy to manage a classroom of preschool deaf kids' behavior. I'm not saying that their behavior is necessarily worse than that of hearing kids, but their language is much lower which generally means their maturity level is lower. It's very similar to having a class full of 1-year-olds. Anyways, this post was not intended to be full of complaints, so on to the fun stuff!

So far, my first week as a SAHM has included:

1. Hanging out at the empty community pool with Michel on Monday afternoon

2. OB appointment on Tuesday, walked around Medical City for a bit looking at cute baby stuff and getting a Frulatti treat (which I haven't had since I was in college!)

3. Impromptu lunch date at Chili's on Wednesday

4. Walking 3 times this week (not too shabby at 37 weeks pregnant...though I've gone from walking 3 miles in about 50-55 minutes to walking 1-1 1/2 miles in about 30 minutes so I've slowed WAAAAY down and don't have the energy/ability/desire to go any further!)

5. Some major housecleaning (which was mainly done by Michel because he's awesome and knows that I can't move like I used to!)

6. Another impromptu lunch date at Taco Bueno today

7. Lots and lots of relaxing, Internet surfing, and TV watching! Oh, and a couple of cat naps where I've fallen asleep on the couch

Being a SAHM is so easy when there's no baby to take care of!! I am savoring my time to myself, and Michel and I are savoring our last few days as just a couple, but also anxiously awaiting the arrival of our sweet girl! If she comes on or before her due date we have 16 days left. I have already started dilating and effacing, so my OB did tell me not to be surprised if I have her this weekend! In some ways, I kind of wish she didn't say that because now I'm feeling like if I don't have her this weekend I'll feel like I'm overdue when I'm not. Oh well...it's really out of all of our hands. God will bring her into this world when the time is right!

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, you are walking about as fast as me. Also, I am so proud of you and Michel for making the decision for you to be a stay at home mom. Audrey will be such a joy to you as you raise her with your values!

    ReplyDelete