Thursday, April 7, 2011

Easy Chicken Strips

Last week, I cooked myself dinner (which I NEVER do) on a night when Michel was at work. Usually, I heat up a microwavable meal, or eat leftovers if we have them. But I was going through the Diet Comfort Food cookbook that I've been cooking out of for the past three weeks (highly recommend it!) and saw a recipe to make chicken strips with corn flakes cereal as the coating. The reason I chose to make this on a night when I was home alone was because I wanted to see if it was worthy of being added into Michel's and my dinner rotations. So I made them, and LOVED them! Then I made them again tonight and asked Michel if he liked them, and he just replied a simple "yes" - a typical answer for him. As we continued eating, he suddenly changed his answer to, "Actually I really like these!" That was the proof that they really are as delicious as I think they are, and low in calories and fat too! So I thought I'd share the recipe:

1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
1-1/4 c. crushed corn flakes
1/3 c. butter

- In a shallow bowl, combine flour and seasoned salt.
- Place corn flakes and butter in separate shallow bowls.
- Coat chicken with flour mixture, then dip in butter, and coat with corn flakes.
- Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 min or until chicken is no longer pink.

Yields: 6 servings
1 serving = 288 calories, 12 g. fat, 18 g. carbs, trace fiber

I'll try and get a picture of it when we make it again tomorrow night (yeah, it's that good!), but for now, just take my word on it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment