Wednesday, July 27, 2011

German Chocolate Cake Fiasco

Last year for Michel's birthday, he asked me to make him his all-time favorite cake for his birthday, German chocolate cake. For my birthday last year, I asked for a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and he made the entire thing from scratch - and it was DELICIOUS!! So, I decided since he went to all that trouble for me then I would go to the same amount of trouble and make his cake from scratch. I found Trisha Yearwood's recipe. Not only did it sound good, it sounded very doable. So I made it for him last year and he loved it and asked for it again this year! 

The recipe is supposed to be a triple layer chocolate cake and it calls for frozen GRATED coconut. I have never found this either year I've baked it (I've also only looked at Wal-Mart and Kroger), but I use the bagged shredded coconut and only make a two-layer cake. That worked well for me last year. However, THIS year I have no idea what happened! The cake turned out great, but the frosting made me want to throw stuff across the room! It stuck to everything but the cake!! I don't remember that happening last year, and I don't know what I did! 

Poor Michel heard me yelling (yelling at cake frosting...does that make me crazy??) and going a bit crazy on this thing, and assured me that it would still taste delicious, but I swore I was going to make that thing look as good as it was going to taste. 

The end result: 

Most of it turned out looking really good!



And then there were still some stubborn parts that looked not-so-pretty because the frosting refused to adhere to the cake!



Luckily, it did still taste delicious, and I'm not that much of a cake person - especially German chocolate cake, but I think this is delicious! The cake itself is VERY moist!

All that mattered to me was that Michel liked it. He approved of my funny-looking cake :)


No comments:

Post a Comment