Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Trying New Things

This story starts a few years ago. When I graduated high school, I was a pretty chubby teenager. I'm 5'0" and I weighed about 135 pounds. That's quite a bit for how short I am! The New Year's after I graduated, my parents and I all joined Weight Watchers, and I dropped to my lowest weight of 119. I've always managed to keep it off, and occasionally have lost more. Before I got married, I hit the gym hard, hired a personal trainer, and was at my all-time lowest weight of about 115 and a low percentage of body fat.

As many of you know, I asked for, and received, the P90X workout system for Christmas.


I started almost 6 weeks ago, and was so excited to have lost 3 pounds my first week. And then the weight loss journey has stopped. I've been kind of disappointed in the results I've seen, or lack thereof. I'm not trying to blame P90X...it's possible it just isn't meant for me. I'm not completely giving up on it, but I am putting it on pause to try something new. What I do like about it though is the length of the workouts - I usually get in a 60 minute workout 5-6 days a week. For results to not show up on the scale, or in the way my clothes fit, has been kind of a let down to me. 

So, why am I posting this?? First and foremost: accountability. One of the things that I loved about Weight Watchers was weighing in. It was in front of an employee, and anyone else who was behind you in line. That alone was motivation not to cheat! My new plan is this: I am joining the Joe Farmer Rec center that Michel is a member at. Three evenings a week he's going up there with me to make me work my tail off (I asked him for his help...I don't want anyone thinking that he's making me feel inferior or anything of the sort!). He works out pretty hard, and I've always gotten the best results with a personal trainer. I don't have the money to do that anymore, but he won't let me get away with slacking, so we're going to see how this works! 

My plan is this: Every Saturday morning, I'll get up and weigh (I might even be brave enough to put my starting weight...who knows???)! I'll post on Saturday if I gained or lost anything. Since I am trying to lose less than ten pounds, the weight will come off very slowly, but I'm fine with that. Once a month, I'll post measurements and if I've gained or lost inches. I care more about the inches than I do the weight.  Every Monday, I plan on posting my meal plan for that week (sorry Katy, I'm stealing that idea from you!). So if you're interested in my progress, make sure to check back plenty of times throughout the week. 

Part of my motivation for the sudden lifestyle change is: 

This GORGEOUS beach in Hawaii!!

Michel and I are planning a summer vacation to Hawaii in 2012, and though that's a year and a half away, I want to see what I can achieve right now! I'm really excited to give this a try and let my family and friends know how it's going for me!

5 comments:

  1. You're so brave to let Michel be your trainer. I would never want to work out with Ryan or let him "train" me!! I can tell you right now it would not be pretty...lots of arguing (mostly me getting mad at him!!). Good luck...I know you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have done p90x for a while now and I actually gained weight on the program from an increase in muscle mass. I had other girlfriends have similar experiences. Its great for building muscle...if thats what you are going for. A trip to Hawaii! How exciting. A swimsuit is such a great workout motivator!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! Losing weight is very hard to do, I know, I am trying to lose a little myself. It's great that Michel is support of. Good luck, I can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to know you inspired me, and I went and blogged about my weight loss journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you aren't stealing Meal planning from me. Lots of people do it!!

    And how cool that ya'll are planning a vacation to Hawaii. I want to go there someday!

    ReplyDelete