Friday, February 4, 2011

This is still Texas, right???



Today marks the 4th consecutive day that I've been out of school due to winter weather! Does that ever happen in Texas?? If it does, it certainly has never happened in my lifetime! This storm took most people by surprise, too. Monday night (1/31), around 2:30 in the morning, I heard a ton of sleet/freezing rain hitting our window. This wasn't supposed to happen until 8 or 9:00 on Tuesday morning. I got up at 4:40 to do P90X and got a phone call around 5:30 that school was called off. There was a ton of ice covering the ground, and the high for that day was only 17 degrees, so nothing melted! Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were all the same - highs only in the upper teens or low 20s, so Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday night, I got calls telling me that school for the FOLLOWING day had already been cancelled! Using two bad weather days in one year is highly unlikely for us, but using FOUR bad weather days all in a row...that's unheard of!

On Thursday night, snow was predicted to start falling. The majority of it was supposed to fall to the south of us, though (like Houston area). Our area was only supposed to get a trace - 1". Apparently, the storm took a wrong turn, and dumped all the snow over the DFW metroplex because this is what Michel and I woke up to this morning:




It's been falling consistently for the last 4 or 5 hours!! After 4 days off of school and this much snowfall, I really don't feel like I'm in Texas anymore!

Yesterday, Michel and I had decided that we were developing some major cabin fever, and we were going to go out for lunch today. We weren't counting on this much snow falling, but we really wanted to get out and Michel's a safe driver, so we went for it! While we were driving a took a picture out the window just to show how deep the snow is...you can't see lane markers on the road, and can't even tell where the road stops and the curb begins!


We went to Cowboy Chicken in Allen and Michel was sweet enough to indulge me in my obsessive picture-taking! Being stuck inside for 3 days in a row makes a lunch date out something that I want to capture on film :)


Today marked the first day since Monday that I had on pants that were not elastic, AND put on makeup!! I've been living in my pajamas the last several days and not bothering to put on makeup since I hadn't left the house :)

This one's my favorite, though! It might even be next year's Christmas card :)


We've had a lot of fun eating junk food, being lazy, and spending some quality time together! Hope you've had a great snow day/week!!

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! They just put in a Cowboy Chicken in Longview...I've heard it's good. I'd never heard of it until they put it in here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya!! I have spent more time in my pjs this week than I ever have before. Although, I did venture out to go to work on Thursday. So that kind of broke up my cabin fever!

    ReplyDelete