Friday, September 27, 2013

I Gave It My Best Shot

I struggled with the idea of actually posting this or not because the topic can get controversial, but then I decided that it's all family and friends who read my blog (as far as I know...maybe the occasional stranger stumbles upon this), so I think everyone will be supportive, and I'm 'fessing up.

Audrey is no longer a breastfed baby. We have switched to exclusively formula feeding her. There. I admitted it. :)

When Audrey was born she weighed 7 lbs. 2 oz. When we were discharged from the hospital she weighed 6 lbs. 10 oz. When we went to the pediatrician the next day she was down to 6 lbs. 6 oz. Our pediatrician suggested that we do a supplemental formula feeding once a day until my milk came in. We continued doing a supplemental formula feeding once a night and I would pump so that my milk supply wouldn't suffer. Audrey is a very content baby, and I could breastfeed her every 3 hours during the day and she stayed content between feedings. She would nap well and she made plenty of wet and dirty diapers so I thought everything was great. We went for her 2-week check-up earlier this week, and not only had she not gained weight she actually lost weight! Michel and I were both a bit shocked by this, and stressed. Our pediatrician asked us that I breastfeed her, then offer her a bottle of formula to see if she's not getting full from the breast milk. Her theory was if Audrey had eaten what she wanted of breast milk (I fed her until she pulled herself off, or I would pull her off if I noticed she wasn't actually drinking anymore, but just pacifying instead), and then was offered formula she would refuse the bottle. If she wasn't full, Audrey would drink the formula. I was also told to pump after that to keep my supply up. That day, we did exactly what the pediatrician asked. We were beyond exhausted by the end of the day. On top of that, the more formula we offered Audrey the less time she stayed on the breast. Her first feeding was a normal 30-45 minute feeding. She took in quite a bit of formula (about 1.5-2 oz.). Her second feeding she only stayed on the breast for about 10 minutes a side and again ate about 1.5-2 oz. of formula. The rest of the night she only breastfed for about 5 minutes a side, but would drink about 2 oz. of formula. When I pumped, I was only pumping out about 1/4-1/2 oz. of breast milk between the two breasts!!! I had pumped before and had gotten as much as a full ounce, but have never been able to pump more than an ounce (and I was only able to get an ounce out when I didn't breast feed her first). So after a night of tears, anxiety, and virtually no sleep Michel and I came to the conclusion that I was going to stop breastfeeding her, and we would go to formula.

Maybe some people reading this are thinking that I didn't try hard enough to make it work. I feel like I did; maybe I didn't. However, since switching to formula I have a much less fussy baby (she pretty much fussed all evening from 5ish until 9 or 10ish and cluster fed - the poor thing was just starving), and I'm much less stressed! I love the idea of breast feeding, and am so happy for the people who can make it work. The truth of the matter is my baby wasn't growing like she should have been off of breast milk. When we went back to the pediatrician today we were told that she needed to have gained an ounce per day (3 oz. total from Tuesday to today). She weighed 6 lbs. 5 oz on Tuesday and we were hoping to see her weigh 6 lbs. 8 oz. today. We put her on the scale and she weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz.!!! She gained 7 1/2 ounces from Tuesday - over twice as much as we were hoping for! Michel and I were so thrilled to see that number on the scale! It kind of the reassurance that we needed to know that we are making the right decision. I told our pediatrician today that we had cut out breast milk due to low supply issues, and she totally understood, and said that her boys were formula fed babies and were just fine. She also reassured us that she sees kids come in who are breast fed and formula fed and there's not that much difference in which babies get sick more often. She also said that breast feeding, even for just a couple of weeks, still gives Audrey some antibodies and added health benefits.

There are definite pros and cons to formula feeding, but the biggest pro is that it's helping my baby grow and thrive like she should be!! I also can eat, drink, or take any medication I need to and not worry about how it will affect Audrey. The biggest con about formula feeding is the price. Michel and I already decided that the price of formula is not nearly as important as knowing that Audrey is getting the nutrition that she needs.

We love our baby girl, and are just trying to do what we think is best for her! I'm just glad to see her growing now :)

4 comments:

  1. This was a daily struggle for me with Mikaela! She needed formula for growth as well. It was so hard for me to accept that I "wasn't enough", but I realize now that I am still her mother and providing for her. What a blessing it is that we live in a country where there is an alternative to breastfeeding. You are doing what is best for Audrey and don't let anyone tell you different! And you can always try it again with the next one. Nicholas has been exclusively breastfed for 6 months and thriving. Every kid is different! God gave you a precious gift. He knew you were the best fit for her, formula and all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once expressed to a friend that I felt like I was broken because my body couldn't do what it was supposed to. She reminded me that there are lots of things that our bodies are "supposed" to be able to do that they can't always do...hence the reason I wear glasses!! :) I'm proud of y'all for doing what was best for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you went ahead and posted this. Of course, you know about all the challenges I had in that department as well. I have never regretted my decision to go with formula for both of you. I can't see that either of you suffered at all. I agree with your friend, that we are blessed to live in a time and place where there is a healthy alternative to breast feeding. And Janette is right: there are lots of things our bodies are supposed to do but can't. Audrey is blessed to have you and Michel as her parents. There is so much more to being a parent than how you choose to provide nourishment to them! Your joy has just begun!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I know how you feel and I know (for me at least) it was hard to finally give up breastfeeding. As she gets older and more active pumping only gets harder. And everything I've read said the first few weeks of breastfeeding are the most important and you got those in! In the long run bottle feeding is so much more convenient when you are out and about and it allows other people to help with the feeding. You did what was best for you and Audrey, so good for you!

    ReplyDelete