Monday, October 22, 2012

Adventures in Kitten Ownership

OK, so I promise that I'm not going to do a ton of updates and pictures of our cat because I don't want to be "that lady" and I really don't want to become "the crazy cat lady"! But it has been many, many years since I've owned a true kitten and there are a lot of things that I have forgotten that Ninja has helped remind me! 

1. Life is one big toy - shoelaces, drawstrings on clothes, bras hanging out to dry, toilet paper tube, and wadded up pieces of paper - are all fun kitten toys!
2. Tuna fish to cats is like chocolate to me - he gets very excited when I opened a can earlier!
3. Why jump on a couch when you can shimmy up the back of it?
4. Spraying water corrects unwanted behavior VERY quickly!
5. Hands and feet move; therefore, are easily mistaken for cat toys
6. Cat toys are way more fun when they're challenging - we find them behind our sofa and under our entertainment center daily!
7. Kittens like to perfect their acrobatics - he flips, rolls, flies through the air, you name it and he does it!

Here are a few things that I've learned about his personality in the three days that we've owned him.

1. I was told that he was picked up by the shelter as a stray, but somewhere along the way someone taught him that he needs to be in the kitchen, and eat human food! I've never had a cat who cared when I was cooking in the kitchen unless it involved tuna fish. With Ninja, he's in the kitchen meowing at our feet the whole time we're cooking. Also, if I'm eating breakfast on the couch his little face is all in my food. It only took a day of saying a firm "no!" and spraying him with water for him to realize that he should just sit back on the couch and look rather than try to eat the food.
2. He's smart! He's already started coming when we call his name, and like I said before, he doesn't try to put his nose in my food anymore.
3. He's really good with his claws and teeth. We've caught him scratching on non-scratching post things a couple times, but for the most part he seems to use his scratching post as he should. He paws and nips at us occasionally, but very gently. We're still discouraging it even though it doesn't hurt.
4. He's a true kitten. The first two days that we had him he followed us around and was very mellow. Yesterday, he must have started feeling comfortable here because he was so hyper! Today, it's more like a normal hyper kitten. He'll chase toys and then lay under Michel's feet or beside me on the couch. Then he's tearing through the house again! He's pretty funny to watch :)
5. And, like all cats, the best seat in the house is the one that Michel and I like best. As soon as we get off the couch he's stretched out across it. See what I came back to after I got up to put laundry away?


He's such a fun, sweet little kitten!

1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten how playful a kitten can be, too. I'll be glad to get to meet him in person soon and watch that playful little thing!

    ReplyDelete