Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hawaii Day 4 - Diamond Head and our First Luau

I got to looking at all of my posts and realized my numbering of our days somehow got off, and I was missing a day. I had completely forgotten to post about our climb up Diamond Head and our fun luau that we went to!

Good morning Oahu!! Why can't Texas have gorgeous sunrises like this??

The only thing that Michel and I had on our agenda for Saturday, day 4 in Hawaii, was the luau that was set for that evening. After waking up (at sunrise for absolutely no reason whatsoever) and eating breakfast we both decided that we needed to come up with something to do that morning/early afternoon, so we decided to go for a climb up the Diamond Head Crater trail. It's only a 0.8 mile walk, but it increases over 500 feet in elevation, so it wasn't an easy walk, but it wasn't extremely difficult either. So we set off to do it.









Again, it wasn't incredibly difficult, but it wasn't incredibly easy. It's a somewhat-paved path for part of the time, but then it became rocky. Yet we still saw elderly people with their canes going up that path, small children, and everyone in between. What really gets me are the people who wear flip-flops...maybe I have bad feet, but I could never hike in flip-flops! Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now...

...the views going up Diamond Head, and once we got to the top of Diamond Head were absolutely gorgeous!!


We're getting closer to the top!
 

We made it to the top!!








I made it to the top!
Seriously, I absolutely love all the views that we have in Hawaii...it's all so beautiful! Once we got back down from Diamond Head we went back to our cottage to replenish with lunch and cool off in the ocean. Then we had to come in and put ourselves together because we were going to a luau that night!

We got there a little bit early, so I took some pictures of us in our nice clothes to help pass the time. 



Upon entry we were greeted with our choice of drinks: alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Michel and I aren't big drinkers, but a drink upon arrival and 2 drinks throughout the night came included in the price of our luau tickets, so why not get some yummy drinks?

The scenery surrounding the luau was gorgeous as well!





Dang it...I wish I had asked someone to take a picture of Michel and I together in front of the background in the pictures above. That could have been on our Christmas card. Oh well...

We got to the luau around 5:00, but dinner and the show didn't start until 7:00. From 5:00-7:00 there were Hawaiian/Polynesian games to play as well as small shows to watch. I made a little sand bottle (that I forgot to take a picture of) and Michel participated in spear-throwing.


Not too shabby, Michel!

 Some of the little shows that they put on was this man climbing a coconut tree! He had something tied around his feet, but the rest of it was his own pure strength! I was very impressed!








After we watched the man climb the coconut tree it was almost time for dinner to be served, so we got our final drinks of the night and went to find our seats.

Mmmm...I do love a good pina colada, and this one was definitely one of the best I've had!

The thumb and pinky finger out is the Hawaiian sign for "Hang loose"...I'm definitely hangin' loose on vacation!

Mmmm mmm :)

Very yummy!
Before dinner everyone was gathered in an amphitheater. The pig was brought out and our meal was shown to us.



Once everyone had been served dinner the show began. We were shown different styles of hula dancing from all the different islands. Once it got darker outside the real fun began and the fire was brought out!







At the end of the show volunteers were brought on stage to hula dance with the men and women. One particular guy was brought up on stage in a coconut bra and hula skirt to dance with 2 girls. He was a great sport about the whole thing!!


We really enjoyed our night out at our first luau :)

No comments:

Post a Comment