Monday, January 30, 2012

Lean Beef Chili!!

I have the best chili recipe EVER! It's quick, easy, healthy, and DELICIOUS! Whenever I type out my weekly menu planning, I always call this meal turkey chili soup and link it to the skinnytaste.com website where I originally found it.  However, I don't follow that recipe at all for a couple of reasons. 1.) I'm not a big soup fan. I feel like soup is drinking a meal and I like to chew my food to feel like I've really eaten. 2.) I'm cheap and I have really simple taste buds, so a lot of the ingredients I find too hot/spicy, and all those cans of stuff really start adding up on the grocery bill. So I concocted my own recipe that is a spin-off on the skinnytaste version. I always leave mine as chili - I never add the chicken broth like Skinnytaste suggests. 

Here are the ingredients that you will need:

1 lb. of lean ground beef, 1 packet of taco seasoning, 1 can of red kidney beans (dark or light), 1-8 oz. can of tomato sauce, 1 can of black beans, onion (all the ingredients together cost about $7!)


First, brown the ground beef in a pan.


Next, chop the onion. I use about a half of a large onion, or a full medium onion.


 After the beef is browned, and has been drained, add the onion and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes until it starts becoming tender.


Finally, add in the red kidney beans, black beans, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning. Stir together until well-combined. Cover the pan and let simmer on medium heat for about 12 minutes, and then enjoy!


 We like eating our chili with some Baked Tostitos, sour cream (Julie), and hot sauce (Michel).


It's a great meal to whip up if you're in a hurry, it's incredibly filling for 1/4 of the chili, and it's only about 5 WW+ points (if you do Weight Watchers). Of course, adding chips and sides are extra. We eat this about once or twice a month, so it's become a definite staple in our house! If you try it out let me know if you like it!

2 comments: