Thursday, September 6, 2012

Supreme Savings!

Yeah, I know the title is a bit cheesy. But it's catchy and it has a nice ring to it. Anyways, I've started couponing again, and subscribing to the Dallas Morning News so as to get the store circulars, and Sunday coupons. Last week was kind of a bust for me. I ended up spending almost $100 on one week's worth of groceries. I will say that $25 was for steaks and rump roast which can be expensive, but still...the rest of our groceries shouldn't have cost nearly that amount. This week my price point is about $30 - $16 of which I've already spent. But I'm not worried about it. I bought quite a few staples last week that I think my main shopping this week will be the things you have to buy weekly - milk, bread, eggs, and produce.

I am really excited to live in Wylie where there's a Brookshire's! I used to shop at Brookshire's all the time when I lived in Forney and loved it. The Forney one is way fancier than the Wylie one, but who cares? I'm still saving money! I tend to like Brookshire's better than Kroger for whatever reason. Anyways, when reading the Brookshire's weekly circular and looking at the coupon matchups for it I realized that there were some REALLY good sales that I needed to jump on before that particular item got sold out. I think I did a great job...I was pretty excited about my purchases!

2 rump roasts, 2 taco seasoning packets, 2 boxes Cheerio's, 4 bananas (not pictured)
Without a savings card or coupons this should have cost me $32. However, I only paid $16 out of pocket. That's a 50% savings! Coupons didn't help me nearly as much as just reading the circulars this week, but that's OK. Here's how I scored:

Rump roast = B1G1 Free!
Taco seasoning = $0.69/packet
used 2- $0.50/1 Old El Paso product coupon
doubled to = $1/1 making my seasoning both FREE!
Cheerios = 2/$5.00
used 2- $0.50/1 box Cheerios
doubled to = $1/1 making my Cheerios each cost $1.50!
Total before coupons = $20.00+ some change

Brookshire's still doubles and triples coupons (triples coupons $0.39 and less and doubles coupons $0.40-0.50. So my $0.50/1 coupons became $1.00/1 which made my taco seasonings both free and my Cheerio's $1.50 each! With coupons I saved $4 which brought my out of pocket cost to $16.46. Considering I have 2 fairly big roasts in there (which together should have cost $25 I'm pretty happy)! Happy Shopping!

2 comments:

  1. Good job!! I can't stand shopping at Brookshire's. For almost my whole life growing up in Wylie that was the ONLY grocery store here. It just seems old and small too me and I kind of think their prices are high. But maybe they aren't when it comes to sales. Do you do any shopping at Aldi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy...when they have sales they have really great prices! Lately, I've been price matching everything at Wal-Mart, but I had to go to Brookshires because Wal-Mart doesn't honor free things. I have shopped at Aldi, and I use their ads to just price-match at Wal-Mart so that I don't have to go to 4 different stores :)

    ReplyDelete